Purchasing an Out of State Vehicle
Kentucky requires that an application for title be made within 15 days of purchase.
What you will need:
• Original Out-of-State Title properly assigned by the seller and notarized, if required in that state.
• Application for Title/Registration TC 96-182 See Usage Tax Calculation Below.
• Proof of current Kentucky liability insurance for the buyer. Note: The effective date on the insurance card must be dated within 45 days of the day the card is presented to the clerk.
• Social Security Number for each owner(s)appearing on the title or Federal Tax ID Number for companies.
• Certified inspection, Please park your vehicle in the “Reserved for Auto Inspections” spaces located in the parking lot across the street from the courthouse. If you are unable to bring the vehicle to our office, arrangements may also be made for vehicle inspection through the McCracken County Sheriff’s Office at (270)444-4719.
• Title Lien Statement TC96-187E if applicable
Motor Homes, Mobile Homes, and Travel Trailers require a B-SEAL INSPECTION . Contact Jackie Story at 270-226-5693.
Special plates and Personalized plates are available for additional fees. Please see navigation on the right for design and pricing.
Any delinquent property tax owed may prohibit title/registration.
Property tax for your vehicles, trailers and boats are assessed by the Property Valuation Administrator on January 1st of each year. Property tax is paid along with your registration renewal.
Advalorem taxes on vehicles shall become delinquent following the earlier of the end of the month in which the registration is due or the last day of the second calender month following the month in which a vehicle was transferred.
HOW WILL USAGE TAX BE COLLECTED?
A 6% Kentucky road usage tax is collected on the retail value. The retail value is either the purchase price or the NADA retail value. If taxing on the purchase price, the seller must disclose the purchase price on the Total Consideration Affidavit TC 96-182, sign and have their signature notarized. The system will default at 50% of trade value for any price listed below 50% of trade value.
$21.00 Plate fee *
$22.00 Lien filing fee,if applicable **
$ 9.00 Title fee
$ 2.00 Clerk notarization fee
$ 5.00 Inspection
*License fee is pro-rated to customers birth month
**$2.00 Lien Penalty if lien is dated over 30 days