Moving To Kentucky

For Customers Moving Into Kentucky

Kentucky requires that an application for title be made within 15 days of moving into the state.

What you will need:
• Original Out-of-State Title, If you have a lien on your vehicle and are not in possession of your title we will write your lienholder for your title for you. If you lease the vehicle, we will write your lease company to obtain the title. You will need to present your registration and the name and address of your lienholder.

• Application for Title/Registration TC 96-182

• Title Lien Statement TC96-187E, if applicable

• Proof of current Kentucky liability insurance (Note: Effective date on the Insurance Card must be within 45 days of the date the card is presented to the clerk.)

• Proof of sales tax paid when vehicle was purchased (usually found on the buyer’s order from the dealership, on the title or your first time registration – cancelled checks are not acceptable proof). Some States will show Proof of Tax Paid on the front of the title. NOTE: In absence of any proof available, you will be given credit for presumption of tax paid based on the current tax rate for the state title you are presenting.

• Social Security Number for each owner(s) appearing on the title or Federal Tax ID Number for companies

• Certified inspection Please park your vehicle in a “Reserved for Auto Inspections” space located in the parking lot across from the courthouse. If you are unable to bring the vehicle to our office, arrangements may also be made for vehicle inspection through the McCracken County Sheriff’s office at (270)444-4719.

Used and out of state motor homes, camping trailers, and mobile homes require a Fire Marshal inspection.
If you have lost your out-of-state title you will need to request a duplicate from the state that last titled your vehicle.

Special plates and Personalized plates are available for additional fees. Please see navigation on the right for design and pricing.


Property tax for your vehicles, trailers and boats are assessed by the Property Valuation Administrator on January 1st of each year. Property tax is paid along with your registration renewal.

Advalorem taxes on vehicles shall become delinquent following the earlier of the end of the month in which the registration is due or the last day of the second calender month following the month in which a vehicle was transferred.


A 6% Kentucky road usage tax is collected on the trade-in value. Credit will be allowed for qualifying tax paid in the other state. In the absence of proof of tax, you will be given credit for the presumption of tax paid based on the tax rate for your state. You may be required to provide your registration and there may be a tax difference if the state your vehicle was titled charges less than 6%.


$21.00 Plate fee *
$22.00 Lien filing fee,if applicable
$ 9.00 Title fee
$ 2.00 Clerk notarization fee
$ 5.00 Inspection
*License fee is pro-rated to customers birth month

Note: You can pay $16.00 extra and receive a title in 3-5 days. If pending a lien, the title will not mail within the 3-5 days. Title will mail upon filing of the lien.

Skip to content