Moving Your Boat To Kentucky

Titling and Registering Your Boat From Out Of State

For customers moving to KY

Kentucky requires that an application for title be made within 15 days of moving into the state.

The following documents and information are required:
• Original Title
• Application for title/registration Boat Application TC96-184
• Title Lien Statement TC96-187E, if applicable
• Social Security Number for each party appearing on the title or federal ID tax number for companies

Some states do not issue boat titles. If the state does not title boats, you will need to supply the County Clerk with your registration.

If you have lost your title, you will need to apply for a duplicate from the state that issued the title.

Boat trailers are required to be titled, they are not required to be licensed.


Property tax for your vehicles, trailers and boats are assessed by the Property Valuation Administrator on January 1st of each year. The property tax is due in the month of April along with the registration fee.

Advalorem taxes on boats shall become delinquent following the earlier of the end of the month in which the registration is due or the last day of the second calender month following the month in which a boat was transferred.


$ 9.00 Kentucky Title Fee
$ 2.00 Notarization of Title Application
$ 22.00 Lien Filing Fee, if applicable


Registration Fees will be calculated according to length of boat and type of motor.

Registration Fees

$20.00 Trolling Motors
$31.00 1 foot to 16 feet (1 foot thru 15 feet 11 inches)
$50.00 16 feet to 26 feet (16 feet thru 25 feet 11 inches)
$60.00 26 feet to 40 feet (26 feet thru 39 feet 11 inches)
$76.00 40 feet and over
$53.00 Any class with inboard or inboard/outboard motors, Water Jet

Skip to content